I hear the stories over and over again. Authors come to me (or I go to them) and tell me how their publisher or their publicist will simply not support an online campaign….it doesn’t sell books, they are often told. I have had many conversations with authors and publicists who simply don’t realize all the reasons why an online campaign is so crucial to any book campaign. In some cases, there is just a general lack of awareness of what the Internet really can do for someone.
In other cases, authors who are very successful will attest the Internet had nothing to do with their success. I think we can all agree if you can reach the level of success and didn’t need the Internet to bring that about, congratulations! However, for the hundreds of experts who have found publishing a difficult road I am here to tell you an online campaign matters and here is why:
- Even if you are the most successful author out there…..let’s say Suze Orman…..the internet is a powerful tool to create and maintain an ongoing relationship with the public. Experts need to be accessible in today’s high tech world and a well run website can be just the way to accomplish this without having to visit every bookstore in the country. You can create an interactive site on your own as well as being affiliated with dozens of other sites who offer a strong recurring base of readers.
- Create a sense of identity. A strong online presence makes it very clear who you are what you are about. Even the most highly visible television talk show or radio show can’t offer you the opportunity you can create online to demonstrate your expertise and separate yourself from other experts in your field.
- Attain top search engine rankings. You may have been approached by a company who will guarantee you top rankings in exchange for several thousands of dollars. They may even be able to help you make your mark with Google, but simply placing articles on prominent and relevant websites that include a link back to your site is one of the most powerful tools you can utilize to maximize your search engine ranking.
- Make yourself available to the media. In these times when a journalist or a producer needs an expert, the first place they typically search is the Internet. Often, they have special sites they prefer and seek out to discover new experts. Keep your content fresh, timely, newsworthy and change it often to have the best success with your media appeal.
- Ease of use. Simply put, having your bio, press kit, pictures etc. all professionally displayed and accessible on your website is a huge timesaver for everyone concerned.
These are just a few of the many crucial reasons for engaging in an online campaign. A good publicist knows there are many components to successfully marketing a new book or product. Most good publicists can do much of the campaign, however, when it comes to the Internet, be sure you are working with someone who truly understands how to approach these editors, how to format and choose the content and how to maximize the opportunities each website offers for you.
© Copyright 2010 Anne Leedom
Anne Leedom is the founder of Net Connect Publicity. Anne works with authors in the parenting, health and spirituality fields to develop their Expert Internet Publicity campaigns. Anne has created campaigns for such authors and experts as Dr. Laura Schlessinger, Dr. Michele Borba, Joan Borysenko, Armin Brott and Academy Award Nominee Diane Ladd. Working as a passionate advocate on behalf of her clients, Anne creates powerful results that have become a trademark of Net Connect Publicity. Anne is also the Founder and Publisher of www.parentingbookmark.com. For more information visit www.netconnectpublicity.com.