I often hear authors express their ongoing frustration at having conducted an expensive, prestigious publicity campaign where they secured some great media and yet their books are not flying off the shelves as they hoped. What is the magic ingredient that leads to record breaking sales and worldwide notoriety?
Well, clearly there are many factors that help create the awareness and demand authors seek. Successful campaigns appear to have the following as part of their tools that make the difference:
- First, they have a book with solid information that is packaged with a catchy and attractive cover
- Second, they run a traditional print, television and radio campaign
- Third, they utilize the Internet to promote their message
However, many authors have done these steps and have not achieved the success they hoped for. Media campaigns are a crucial element, but let’s stop and review the basics of what makes any product sell. I believe there are three ingredients that are required to elevate a media campaign into successful sales.
- Create an identity that distinguishes you from all other authors and products in your genre. This can be done through your credentials, your personality or any other unique method to help get your message across. Dr. Laura and Dr. Phil have both used this strategy very successfully.
- Be personal. People buy from people. Regardless of how wonderful your work might be, people want to get a feeling they are reading about someone they might like to have over for coffee. By creating an emotional reaction in people as they review your work, it stimulates their desire to buy. Note that many best selling authors use a variety of emotions to connect with their audience, from Stephen King to Rush Limbaugh to Dr. Laura. So don’t just inform, impress and educate your audience. CONNECT to them emotionally.
- Send a consistent press release campaign to the media, relating your work to a current event. Soon, media personnel will think of you when certain public events unfold and you will become their expert of choice.
Selling books and products is what good publicity is all about. Don’t follow the yellow brick road unless it leads to success in sales, not simply media appearances. Use a strategy when choosing your methods to promote your book. The Internet is and will continue to be a valuable tool in your marketing kit due to the flexibility it offers and the many opportunities to brand yourself as a unique expert within your genre.
© Copyright 2010 Anne Leedom
Anne Leedom is the founder of Net Connect Publicity. Anne works with authors in the parenting, health and spirituality fields to develop their Expert Internet Publicity campaigns. Anne has created campaigns for such authors and experts as Dr. Laura Schlessinger, Dr. Michele Borba, Joan Borysenko, Armin Brott and Academy Award Nominee Diane Ladd. Working as a passionate advocate on behalf of her clients, Anne creates powerful results that have become a trademark of Net Connect Publicity. Anne is also the Founder and Publisher of www.parentingbookmark.com. For more information visit www.netconnectpublicity.com.